By Deam Given
With so many people headed to San Diego for the 2014 AAPS Annual Meeting and Exposition, I thought you might appreciate a local’s perspective on fun things to do during your trip.
Here are a few of my favorite restaurants:
- Latitude Lounge at the Marriott Gaslamp (660 K Street) is a really cool outdoor rooftop bar overlooking San Diego Bay and Petco Park. Good cocktails and food.
- Also can’t go wrong with LOUNGEsix or Jsix bar & restaurant in East Village. It’s located at 616 J street and it also has a rooftop bar. It’s part of Hotel Solamar.
- For a step up and some fine dining, there’s Mister A’s at 2550 5th Avenue which is one of the better restaurants in San Diego. There’s outdoor seating which overlooks downtown San Diego, San Diego Bay, and Point Loma in the distance.
All of these venues are within walking distance of the Convention Center:
- Lou & Mickey’s
224 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101; +1.619.237.4900
They have a large outdoor patio next to Gaslamp entrance and plenty of room inside, too.
- Top of the Market
750 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101; +1.619.232.3474
Nice view, a little more expensive
- Puesto at The Headquarters
789 West Harbor Drive #155, San Diego, CA 92101; +1.619.233.8880
Fun atmosphere and great Mexican “street food” menu
- Paddle boarding or kayaking in La Jolla Cove: rent equipment at a number of sites on Avenida de la Playa, La Jolla CA, 92037.
- Hiking Torrey Pines State Park & Reserve: Exit Carmel Valley Rd. West of the 5 freeway; park anywhere and walk south toward La Jolla, parallel to the beach. Lots of trails on top of the hill north of the Hilton Hotel that lead down to the beach.
- Seaport Village: Lots of quaint shops on the San Diego Harbor
- Coronado Island: Drive over the bridge and head south to the many vast white-sand beaches or head north for views of San Diego bay.
- Point Loma: Head to Ocean Beach then head south to Sunset Cliffs for excellent coast drive for ocean views and watching surfers in the lineup.
I know you’ll have a great time in San Diego! Until then, safe travels and see you soon.